Young Scholars Program
The Young Scholars Program (YSP) is a six-week residential science and mathematics summer program for Florida high school students with significant potential for careers in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. The program was developed in 1983 and is currently administered by the Office of STEM Teaching Activities in the College of Arts and Sciences at Florida State University. For more details, please visit the Program Information page. To apply to the program or submit a recommendation, visit Application Materials.
The program is designed for students who have completed the eleventh grade in a Florida public or private high school. A few exceptionally qualified and mature tenth graders have been selected in past years, though this is quite rare.
To be considered for acceptance, applicants must:
- Maintain at least a 3.0 GPA (unweighted)
- Have received a score in the 90th percentile or better in math on a nationally standardized exam (i.e., SAT, PSAT, ACT, or PLAN) before the application deadline
- Be enrolled in or have completed Pre-Calculus
- Be able to commit for the entire six weeks of the program (no exceptions will be made for travel to other summer internship opportunities, sports camps, Mu Alpha Theta, etc.)
- Maintain a permanent residence in the state of Florida
Important Program Dates
January 1: Applications available online (on or before this day)
February 15: Application and Recommendations deadline
May 15: Admissions decisions finalized (on or before this day)
October 15: Summative evaluations available to students (on or before this day)
Important Dates for 2022
June 12, 2022: Young Scholars Program Begins
July 23, 2022: Young Scholars Program Ends
Note: At this time, we plan to resume in-person activities for Summer 2022. If the situation with COVID-19 changes, we will keep applicants/participants informed, while continuing to follow CDC recommendations and FSU summer camp policy.